How does Carplay Work?
CarPlay is Apple standard and connectivity solution that just cast a familiar iOS interface to a compatible car’s infotainment system display, and allows you to assert control over select apps and your iPhone device by using the infotainment screen or your voice. In order words, it serves as a way for a compatible car’s head unit or radio to be a controller and display for an iPhone device.
CarPlay is an intuitive solution developed by APPLE INC. to bridge the gap that exists, between the time it takes car manufacturers to update the maps, software, and apps of the infotainment system on their vehicles, as quickly as Smartphones producers, such as APPLE and Google can update theirs. CarPlay simply makes this lapse in the car and smartphone development cycle less apparent.
Read More : How to Set up Carplay
REQUIREMENTS FOR IT TO WORK
The requirements needed for CarPlay to work include the following:
- Firstly, it is important you have a compatible car that will work with CarPlay for its success to be guaranteed, and you need not worry because many cars produced in the United States are compatible with it. However, there have been assurances from many car manufacturers, that CarPlay will be an integral aspect of their infotainment system over time. Apple is also partnering with several other vehicle manufacturers that have no models with CarPlay to have a greater spread. Apple launched a dedicated website in 2016 in which you can find a list of compatible car makes and models. It has on it, over 100 vehicle models from 21 different brands. Check www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models to know if your vehicle is compatible with CarPlay.
- You need a data cable referred to as the lightening connector that pulls data directly from your iPhone device while charging it at the same time. This integration gives you the freedom to control and interact with your iPhone through the vehicle.
- Lastly, you need a compatible Apple iPhone device that runs on at least iOS 7.1. Some compatible Apple devices include iPhone5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6s plus.
Read More : List of Compatible Cars for Carplay
HOW CARPLAY WORKS
Since CarPlay seeks to merge the inherent strengths of the vehicle’s infotainment system, such as the big, bright touchscreen with the robust design, apps and superb functionality of iOS. The way CarPlay works is given below:
- Just plug the select iPhone into a compatible vehicle, and watch as the iPhone beam its iOS interface onto the car screen. It has an easy-to-use and focused user interface, with more emphasis placed on voice commands and the huge iOS app ecosystem.
- All the processing and “heavy lifting” take place on the iPhone, and it uses the infotainment screen as a sort of external monitor.
- The software allows you to take over the display by just tapping an icon on the car’s stock infotainment system. The audio, voice and touch commands get beamed to the screen, and CarPlay can be manipulated with all the physical controls on the steering wheel specifically designed for that purpose.
- Your iPhone device screen will not be usable while it remains connected.
Read More : Apps For Carplay
Finding your way around Carplay can be quite a profound and exciting affair to users. Some important things that the user must keep in mind are given below:
- CarPlay gives you access to several apps provided by Apple, and for you to open these approved apps you only need to touch the buttons. To view third-party apps such as Pandora, and Spotify, that Apple approved for Carplay, just swipe the screen.
- You can make use of the knobs and other physical controls of your infotainment system. To cycle through the CarPlay options just twist the knob and press the button to select it.
- One of the primary reasons that lead to the development of Carplay was due to safety concerns that arose from vehicle drivers making/receiving phone calls on their devices while driving. CarPlay is equipped with a feature called “Siri” that takes it into the hands-free mode and is apparently one of the best ways to control it. The beauty of using Siri is that it allows you to concentrate on your driving while being able to give CarPlay instructions on what you’d like to do without having to look at the screen.
- To activate Siri, press and hold down the Voice button on the steering wheel. If your car steering wheel does not have a Voice button on it, press and hold down the stimulated Home button on your CarPlay screen. Siri makes it possible for you to carry out many commands that are supported by CarPlay. For instance, Siri is capable of telling you about an incoming message on your phone and even read it out to your hearing. Dictate your response to Siri as it drafts a reply to the message received earlier on.
- Making calls using Siri is one of the quickest and safest ways to make calls with CarPlay while driving. Launch Siri on the Carplay and follow the following format: “Call Name” or “Call Phone Number” and Siri will dial the number of the contact. Should you have other people bearing the same name on your contact; it will prompt you to clarify who you want to call.
- You can also use Siri to find locations and driving instructions for you automatically while driving, with just a few voice commands. Amazingly, you won’t even have to take your eyes off the road while doing that. The command only need follow a simple format which is: “Give me directions to Location.” You can even give Siri the name of the street address, landmark, and town or city. However, if Siri is not sure of what you said, you will be asked to clarify.
- The functionality of CarPlay is flexible and allows you to do a broad range of things that is not limited to listening to music, radio, podcast and maps. You can also get several apps from Apple stores that suit you and make your commute enjoyable.Read More : What is Carplay
- Mechanism of Carplay
- use of carplay
- working of carplay
- What does carplay do