By Nicholas Buccola
The uncomplicated liberal democratic concept is that specific liberty is healthier secured through a democratic political order that treats all voters as equals ahead of the legislation and is ruled via the legislation, with its limits on how the country could deal with its electorate and on how voters might deal with each other. even though splendidly coherent in conception, those principles turn out complicated in real-world politics. The authors of this quantity strategy Lincoln because the embodiment of this paradox—“naturally antislavery” but unflinchingly dedicated to protecting proslavery legislation; defender of the typical guy yet afflicted through the excesses of democracy; dedicated to the assumption of equivalent ordinary rights but not able to visualize a harmonious, interracial democracy. contemplating Lincoln as he tried to see the which means and coherence of the liberal democratic undertaking in perform, those authors craft a profile of the sixteenth president's political inspiration from quite a few views and during a number of lenses. jointly their essays create the 1st fully-dimensional portrait of Abraham Lincoln as a political actor, expressing, addressing, and reframing the perennial questions of liberal democracy for his time and our own.
Table of Contents
Introduction, Nicholas Buccola
Part One. Lincoln and Democracy
1. Prosperity and Tyranny in Lincoln's Lyceum deal with, John Burt
2. Providentialism and Politics: Lincoln's moment Inaugural handle and the matter of Democracy, Michael Zuckert
Part . Lincoln and Liberty
3. Lincoln and the Ethics of Emancipation: Universalism, Nationalism, Exceptionalism, Dorothy Ross
4. What If sincere Abe used to be Telling the reality? typical Rights, Race, and Legalism within the Political considered Lincoln, Nicholas Buccola
Part 3. Lincoln and Equality
5. "The important part of the Republican Party": Antislavery, Nativism, and Lincoln, Bruce Levine
6. Lincoln's Competing Political Loyalties: Antislavery, Union, and the structure, Manisha Sinha
Part 4. Lincoln as a Liberal Democratic Statesman
7. 4 Roads to Emancipation: Lincoln, the legislation, and the Proclamation, Allen Guelzo
8. Lincoln's Kantian Republic
Read or Download Abraham Lincoln and Liberal Democracy (American Political Thought) PDF
Best ideologies books
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2008 im Fachbereich Politik - Internationale Politik - zone: Westeuropa, be aware: 1,7, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Diese Arbeit soll einen Einblick in die Geschichte und die Gegenwart der griechischen Verfassung gewähren und diesen als Grundlage für die Frage nach der Bedeutsamkeit für die europäische Integration nutzen.
In his farewell handle, Dwight D. Eisenhower warned the country of the perils of the military-industrial complicated. yet as Jonathan Herzog indicates during this insightful background, Eisenhower had spent his presidency contributing to a different, lesser identified, chilly conflict collaboration: the spiritual-industrial advanced.
Significant Conservative and Libertarian Thinkers presents entire bills of the works of seminal conservative thinkers from various sessions, disciplines and traditions - the 1st sequence of its sort. Even the choice of thinkers provides one other point to conservative pondering, together with not just theorists but additionally thinkers in literary types and those that also are practitioners.
This ebook addresses the problem of reforming protection and army policy-making in newly democratized international locations. via tracing the advance of civil-military family members in quite a few new democracies from a comparative viewpoint, it hyperlinks our bodies of scholarship that so far have remained principally separate: the learn of rising (or failed) civilian keep watch over over military at the one hand; and paintings at the roots and factors of army effectiveness to assure the safety and protection of electorate at the different.
- Women as Essential Citizens in the Czech National Movement: The Making of the Modern Czech Community
- Progressive Democracy
- Whistleblowing. Form des Zivilen Ungehorsams: Sind die Enthüllungen Edward Snwodens ein Akt des Zivilen Ungehorsams? (German Edition)
- Utopian Movements and Ideas of the Great Depression: Dreamers, Believers, and Madmen
Additional info for Abraham Lincoln and Liberal Democracy (American Political Thought)