The use of drugs is not always the first resort for treatment when it comes to sleep apnea. Notwithstanding, some prescription drugs are effective in managing the symptoms of sleep apnea. The medication for sleep apnea usually consists of a wakefulness-promoting drug. The drug aims to promote day-time wakefulness, for example, Provigil (modafinil)and Nuvigil (armodafinil). Other medications are sleep-aid medications like benzodiazepines and barbiturates.
However, using drugs to treat sleep apnea must be preceded by a doctor’s prescription and strict monitoring. You can buy sleep pills online from a verified pharmacist if you have a doctor’s prescription. You can cut down on the price of prescription medications when you buy from online pharmacies. You can also check Canadian prescription cost. You are more likely to get a better deal on prescription medication when you buy Canadian brands.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
In some cases, people suffering from sleep apnea are not usually aware of the symptoms. Close family members are mostly the ones that identify and point out the symptoms of sleep apnea.
The common symptoms of sleep apnea are:
- Snoring very loud during sleep
- Gasps for air during sleep
- Pause in breathing, usually followed by a loud breathing
The individual on his own will experience the following symptoms:
- Restless sleep or insomnia
- Exhaustion after enjoying a good night rest
- Urinating several times at night
- Decreased libido
- Irritability and heartburn
- Waking up early in the morning with a sore throat or dry mouth
Treatment of Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea treatment aims to stabilize breathing during sleep. It also helps to treat any underlying problems of sleep apnea. It is an essential first treatment step for people with sleep apnea.
The treatment options for sleep apnea usually depends on the causes and severity of the condition. The treatment includes:
Certain positive lifestyle changes can help in the treatment of sleep apnea. Lifestyle modifications are essential and can help to normalize breathing. Some of these positive lifestyle changes include the following:
- Developing healthy sleeping habits can help to improve breathing
- Reducing the level of alcohol consumption is also important
- Adjust your diet to a healthy heart diet
- Abstinence from smoking can also improve breathing pattern
- Exercise regularly and manage your weight
- Learn to sleep on your side instead of facing the ceiling or facing down
Other Forms of Medication
Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy remains the most effective method of treatment for sleep apnea. CPAP keeps the airways open during sleep by delivering a constant positive air pressure through a mask.
However, the result from CPAP can take some time to achieve. There are ways to make the machine more comfortable when you sleep.
- You can adjust the mask settings for a better fit
- Adding moisture to the air as it flows through the mask is also another way to relieve nasal symptoms
Like we mentioned earlier, the use of medication is often the last resort for the treatment of sleep apnea. Some of the drugs have severe adverse effects on people and must be used under strict supervision.